Exchanging Extra Pounds for Dollars

The After Shot, Before.

in General

That’s the plan anyways. Today I’m embarking on a weight loss challenge with some of my fellow blogging buddies. We’ve enrolled in “the matchup” at healthywage. The grand prize is $10,000 to the team that loses the greatest percentage of weight starting today and ending on August 15th. Our team is the Beefcake Bloggers and consists of myself, Jesse from PF Firewall, Brad from Enemy of Debt, Baker from Man Vs. Debt and Darren who is currently blogless.

Are you Nuts?

Yes just a bit. Honestly when Jesse approached me I had already been on the road to clean living and this just happened to fit nicely with that plan. All the better that I’ll have great accountability and a chance for a very large reward. I’m tired of being overweight. At 6’4″ it’s easy for me to mask my extra tonnage but I can’t mask the effects on my health like high blood pressure and cholesterol issues. What’s worse is that I know what it’s like to be skinny. In 2005 I was able to lose 65 pounds, hit my target weight and run the Vancouver marathon. I want to be there again and this time I’ll stay there. I’ve been able to crazy focus and pay off our debt, I’ll do the same with my weight loss plan.

How About You?

Anyone else struggle with their weight? Got some tips to lend? I’m all ears. Like personal finance there isn’t any magic to it, it takes some hard work and behavioral changes. I have all of the tools I need it’s now just time to put it in motion. I’ll keep you posted as we move through the program but I’m stoked to get started! Also if you are interested in getting your own team together you have until May 29th to get going!

{ 1 trackback }

My Final Weight Loss Challenge | Personal Finance Firewall
2010/05/18 at 9:21 am

Leigh Holcombe 2010/05/17 at 10:45 pm

It does seem like there’s a little magic involved. There’s so much information available about diet and exercise that it becomes difficult to sift through it all. I just read today about something called the chocolate milk diet! And there’s a finance angle as well – organic produce and other healthy foods cost more in both time and money than cheeseburgers from a fast food value menu. I look forward to seeing how this new project affects your already wonderful site.

paul 2010/05/17 at 11:02 pm

Very true Leigh, but I’m following the exact same rules I apply to finance in my weight loss journey. If I don’t understand it, then I’m not interested. As to chocolate milk, there are many that would argue that chocolate milk is as good if not better than most recovery drinks, I wonder if that’s where it comes from. You’re right that it can be more expensive to eat some healthy foods but that’s a budget line item I’m more than happy to expand. Thanks for your kind words.

Stephan 2010/05/18 at 7:10 am

Dont get caught up in fad diets. Eat home cooked healthy meals, minimize the junk food, and exercise as much as possible. Its not hard to lose weight if you have the drive to stick to a plan, and since youve done it with PF, i dont see why you cant do it with your weight. Of course, im making out to be easy, but i know how busy some people can be. I work 13hrs a day now, havent had any chance to go to the gym in a few weeks, and i feel worse because of it.

Jesse 2010/05/18 at 9:29 am

It’s the beginning of the end of fat for us my friend!

Spedie 2010/05/18 at 11:42 am

I have lost 18 lbs since December 2009. I have done this without any extra exercise or cutting back on my beer consumption or cutting back on my food intake.

I found out a secret, just by chance. The “chance” was that I found out in December 2009 that I have a very bad soy allergy.

I proceeded to cut all soy out of my diet and I mean ALL soy and all it’s other names…..

I found out that Soy damages a person’s thyroid gland. It is a chemical thing. Go look up soy and hypothyroidism on the internet and read, read, read some more.

I have long had hypothyroidism. My doctor has cut my dose of Synthroid in half and I now only take that half pill 4 days a week instead of 7! My thyroid is trying to heal.

The weight loss was a side effect of good eating. I eat mostly home cooked meals.

This tidbit just might help you in your weight loss journey and win that $10,000 prize!

Spedie

paul 2010/05/18 at 1:43 pm

Oh wow that’s definitely something to consider. I don’t take in a bunch of soy myself nor am I planning to. Cutting my intake of burgers will probably help me the most :-). But you are absolutely right, eating out is the killer both of the budget and the waistline. It certainly helps that they have the nutritional information on all of the menus now.

Spedie 2010/05/20 at 8:34 am

Paul, soy and all it’s other name forms are in about 60 percent or so of processed foods. It’s everywhere. Start reading labels and you will be surprised.

Budgeting in the Fun Stuff 2010/05/18 at 12:29 pm

I struggle because I can’t work up too much care yet. I’m sure one day I will have an aha moment as say “Crystal, you will darn well lose that 30 pounds,” but I’m not there yet. Good luck to you Beefcake Bloggers though!!!

paul 2010/05/18 at 1:42 pm

Thanks a bunch! I know where you’re at. I just have reached that point and I’m done.

Jenna 2010/05/18 at 1:10 pm

Good luck! Any idea what you are going to do with your share of the $10,000?

paul 2010/05/18 at 1:41 pm

Thanks! It will be all headed towards the emergency fund. I know not very exciting but frankly winning the contest will be reward enough.

Jenna 2010/05/19 at 9:17 am

Makes sense though. I’ve just started considering starting an emergency fund. Not sure how to build one when you just got out of college. Maybe I should start entering in competitions!

James 2010/05/18 at 4:19 pm

i think this is great and when you combine it with a team goal its that much better. and did i hear $10k well that’s a pretty good reason too.

if i had significant weight to lose i would consider doing something like this but if i lost 10 pounds i would be skinny and to me skinny is not sexy.

Ryan @ Planting Dollars 2010/05/19 at 1:13 pm

I’ve had the best luck when I’ve found enjoyment in an activity that helps me lose weight such as swimming or playing sports. At the moment I only ride a bike here in Hawaii and it makes it almost impossible to be fat so if you can bike to work I would highly recommend that as well. Either way, best of luck in the challenge!

paul 2010/05/19 at 4:29 pm

Thanks Ryan, you’re right for sure. I can burn a thousand calories playing hockey and not even notice. Biking to work is sort of doable but it’s incredibly hilly where I live and work, I’ve tried it in the past but might need to consider it more going forward.

Matt Jabs 2010/06/02 at 8:49 pm

I’m glad y’all are doing this, like you mentioned, the accountability and extra motivation may be just what the doctor ordered!

I recently lost 40 pounds. August 2008 I was about 215 pounds, and at 5’11″ that is pretty chunky… even w/big ole legs like mine. Circa August 2009 I was closer to 175 pounds, and boy the change sure was nice. Now that it’s June 2010 have I gained it all back? No. But I have gained back about 10-15 pounds, which is okay. I’m happy weighing between 175 and 190, although I’m happiest around 180 so I’ll kick it into gear this summer and loose my winter hibernation weight again. I hated being fat, so I’m not going to do it again. Ever. You shouldn’t either Paul… get going and don’t slip up again.

hermes handbags 2010/07/07 at 8:28 pm

Good luck! Any idea what you are going to do with your share of the $10,000?

paul 2010/05/19 at 1:00 pm

I think the answer Jenna is by working your tail off! Now’s the time to be looking at multiple income streams, if you’re able to knock out that emergency fund and move on then think of where you’ll be! I wouldn’t recommend to anyone competitions as an income source, for me it’s just working out to be an additional source of inspiration.

Jenna 2010/05/19 at 1:56 pm

I used to do freelance stuff on the side however, taxes didn’t really make it worth it…