Ladies I’m leaving you out of this discussion because I am not a woman and couldn’t even begin to profess that I know what a woman should or should not do. If you want add yourself to this discussion simply add a “Wo” and you’re done. Or you can just head on over to the Centsible Life for the day.
Now I know what you’re thinking. “I use my credit cards so I can earn a free off peak contiguous 48 states red eye companion fare on Ghetto Air every 3 years.” Then this is for you.
Top 10 Reasons that Real Men Pay with Cash
- Real men spend less when they pay with cash.
- Debit and credit cards are like the limp fish handshake of the purchasing world. “Yes I’d like to purchase this pack of chicklets and a package of swedish fish. $2.79 you say? Sure here’s my credit card so you can enjoy a nice $1.10 fee for me not being man enough to carry $3 cash.”
- You carry a roll of Benjamins around because you’re confident that if someone tries to mug you on the street you’ll throw a flying leg kick before parting with your hard earned cash. Calling your card company to cancel your card is like tattling on your big brother.
- You pay cash because you want it to hurt a little bit when you’re buying that new random orbit sander. “I do enjoy having you in my wallet, maybe that’s where you should stay.” A sheet of sandpaper might work just as well
- You cannot fold a credit card and still have it operate.
- No one has ever been declined at the Target checkout by paying for your Jonas Brothers lunchbox with cash.
- You can’t track your debit card transaction with Where’s George. Real men want to know that their dollar bill bought a Poison bandanna in Conshohocken and a piece of rhubarb pie in Duluth.
- You’ll never, ever be charged a late fee for purchasing a sofa sectional with cash.
- Paying with cash will hone your arithmetic skills to laser like focus. It will also impress the ladies that you can count.
- Paying with cash will prepare you for your trip to Japan where they don’t take kindly to those who pay with plastic and they almost certainly don’t take American Express.
- Real men enjoy taking up 7 minutes of the bank tellers time to count out your 6 fifties, 12 twenties, 3 tens, 5 fives and 14 ones. Yes I would like an envelope for that thank you very much.
(Photo courtesy John Althouse Cohen )