Intuit to “Fix” Quicken Essentials for the Mac and Offer a Rebate

in Web

In my inbox this morning is a letter from Intuit listing out the changes they are making to Quicken Essentials for the Mac in the near future and offering a $20 refund for those who originally purchased the product. This is good news that this wasn’t a totally fire and forget product. If you’ve been to my Quicken Essentials for Mac 2010 Review many customers have shared their displeasure with the first version. There is hope for you yet Mac Users but the question is are these changes enough? It certainly doesn’t put it in competition with Quicken 2010 for the PC.

Here’s the complete text of the email:

We’re making it even better with a series of updates and a $20 refund!

Dear Valued Quicken Customer,

We are committed to making the best personal finance tool possible for our Mac users. Building this most recent release from the ground up has made it more intuitive and allowed us to improve core features—making managing your finances easy, so you can spend less and save more.

Thanks to the direct feedback we have received from customers like you, we are making changes to Quicken Essentials for Mac. Here is what we have planned for the next couple of months:

Price reduction and $20 refund—we are dropping the price from $69.99 to $49.99 and you can receive a $20 refund! If you purchased from a retail store, visit www.quicken.com/macrefund and follow the instructions on how to request your refund. Please note, you will be required to register your Quicken product and provide proof of purchase. All requests must be submitted by 5/31/2010. If you purchased Quicken Essentials for Mac from Intuit, your credit card will be credited automatically in 4-6 weeks; you don’t have to do anything.

A series of updates—over the next few months, your product will be automatically updated with new features when you connect to the Internet. The first update is expected to take place by the end of April and will allow you to password-protect your data file and export transaction data to spreadsheets.
Additional updates are scheduled through August, giving you the ability to:

• Get a complete picture of your current net worth by entering investment holdings from brokerages that do not connect to Quicken
  • Better understand your spending by comparing between different time periods
  • Export tax-deductible expenses to tax filing programs like TurboTax(R)
  • Make it easier to see how you are tracking against your budget across several months

Thank you for being a valued customer. We appreciate you choosing Quicken and are confident you will be pleased with the upgrades we are making to your product. If you have any questions about the refund, please visit us at www.quicken.com/macrefund.

Ray 2010/04/26 at 4:41 am

What they did not say but provided in an interview with the Infinite Loop http://bit.ly/cRLKK1 is more important.

“Still, Quicken Essentials for Mac will remain an entry-level product for users with relatively simple financial management needs, Wu said. ‘We have [an] ongoing development effort to address more advanced needs. The plan is to develop a separate product that will meet those needs, and have feature parity with Quicken Deluxe on Windows.’ “

Mark 2010/05/08 at 2:08 pm

Ray’s post is the key here, what are they developing for advanced needs? I use Quicken 2010 in parallels and consider myself an advanced user. I fed back on QEM for almost 18 months during beta, from the days before when i was called Quicken Financial Life, and Intuit ignored most of it. Aside from a lot of missing reporting and functionality (like being able to pay bills through your bank) you cannot track investments at all, even at a balance level, unless the broker provides a download. Mortgages and loans forget about, they don’t work well, there is no integration at all with Turbo Tax (astonishing) and in some ways it’s even more basic than Mint.com.

I have no idea why they don’t just sell a wrapper with the PC version to it can run native on a Mac, rather than parallels. It’s the only Windows application I run. It’s mind boggling there is no comparable product on the Mac at all.

Larrys 2010/09/10 at 11:36 am

So what’s this nonsense that you cannot print checks…Not only was that a key feature for those of us that write checks, but also a profit center for Quicken….

If a PC can write and print checks why can’t one do it with a MAC or did they just forget to add this feature….

Ray 2010/09/10 at 1:06 pm

It is in the current beta and works perfectly….

Craig 2010/10/05 at 7:08 am

Can anyone tell me about this current beta and how to get ahold of it?

Mark 2010/10/05 at 7:56 am

The beta is almost finished – QEM 2011 (or 1.5, take your pick) is available from October 11th.

Craig 2010/10/05 at 8:38 am

How would I get it on October 11th?

Mark 2010/10/05 at 8:57 am

You can order it whenever you like – the 1.5 update will be free on that date.

Mark 2010/10/05 at 8:57 am

You can order it whenever you like – the 1.5 update will be free on that date.

Jonathan Hoffman 2010/10/20 at 11:06 am

For those of us who loved Quicken for Windows but have been burned by the Quicken for Mac fiasco and don’t really trust them anymore, can anyone provide a useful comparison for choosing between iBank 4, Quicken Essentials 1.5, and using Quicken 2010 for Windows, using Parallels?

Hans Castorp 2010/11/05 at 5:13 am

These fixes are like the surgeon telling you “Next time I’ll use anesthesia.” If they thought it was okay before, they don’t know what they’re doing, so I’m staying away from upgrading after nearly 20 years of Quicken.

Larrys 2010/11/05 at 8:21 am

So great now I can print checks…..

What they still need to do is provide simple customer support and rebuild their product to the average person, not just all the hard core Mac or PC users…

It’s impossible to deal with company’s primarily Quicken with no simple human phone support free…It still is a great product for the average person and they make money selling you checks….

Wake up Quicken and get the attitude out of your product…Be more like Apple or Canon

Dick Outland 2010/12/04 at 11:52 am

I’ve been a Quicken for PC user since 1992. This year I switched to an iMac but am still using Quicken 2005 deluxe with Parallels. I would like to start using Quicken Essentials 1.5 now that the program supports check writing.
Any advice on making the change and importing my almost 20 years of Quicken for PC data to my iMac?

Jonathan Hoffman 2010/12/06 at 10:01 am

After reading all the negative reviews, I finally switched from Q2007 for Mac to Essentials 1.5, when it finally enabled me to print checks. I was forced to switch, because my VISA card was at BofA, which suddenly stopped supporting Q2007. But when i switched to Essentials, I discovered that Wells Fargo, where I have my checking account, doesn’t support online banking from Essentials yet, so I have to use Wells Fargo’s online bill pay instead of QE. So who knows how it works. I can’t get enough of it to work with my banks to find out.

melanie 2010/12/09 at 11:01 pm

So I’m thinking of changing to ibank. I’ve had it with Intuit and their pitiful attempts at a Mac program I’ve used them for years, both Quicken and TurboTax, but so very frustrating lately!

Harrie Westphal 2011/06/02 at 9:11 am

I have been running iBank and Quicken 2007 for the few weeks in anticipation of the Macs next operating system not running PowerPC applications. I have decided that iBank is the way of the future for me and will be dropping Quicken. Had Quicken dump its data to a QIF file, loaded it into iBank and everything came across perfectly. A little reorganization on the iBank side to hide old accounts and all is going great. Sorry to be forced to do this but the lack of support from Intuit made it necessary.

Harvey 2011/09/05 at 3:27 pm

The intuit website sez that it is compatible with, and will transfer to Turbotax, the above comments and reviews say the opposite; what’s the real story as of September 2011?

I have been using quicken 2005 for Mac and it works just fine in Snow Leopard, I am concerned that intuit, in its infinite stupidity, will make TTAX incompatible with older versions of quicken in the future.

Thanks

Lorraine L. Foster 2011/11/09 at 4:36 am

I have difficulty checking off items when reconciling in QFM 2005, due to very arthritic hands. Does any recent version (of Essentials) have an easier reconciliation process?