Where Do You See Yourself in 10 Years?

Post image for Where Do You See Yourself in 10 Years?

in General

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? That was the standard question I asked every interview candidate when I was hiring for my various positions. Actually I only usually asked 2 years out but 10 years might be more appropriate to think about where you may be in life and with your finances. I have to thank Punch Debt in The Face for the call to action, be sure and go read some of the other bloggers asking themselves the same question. So here goes, you might want to keep your letter to yourself but I’m going to share mine with you.

Welcome to 2020

I just arrived home in my hover car after my hockey game. You are still playing hockey right? Here’s a snapshot of where I’m at.

Family

At this point I have one boy in college and the other is a junior in high school. Everyone raves about how polite, smart and respectful they are. Tim is studying computer science at a state University that was paid for by my yearly contribution to his Coverdell Educations Savings Account. Silas is doing well in school and works part time as well as helps instruct Tae Kwon Do at our local studio. Angela and I are enjoying our additional leisure time from my vocation and she continues to volunteer and do short term mission work among her other duties as a mom and wife. She also enjoys writing out in her cottage that FiscalGeek has built her.

Career

I have been operating FiscalGeek LLC for almost 10 years providing a variety of resources to the Internet and beyond and enjoy running my own show.

Mortgage

None having paid it off 3 years earlier.

Finances

Now having lived debt free except the house for 11 years I have been able to build a nice retirement fund and have upgraded our cars over the years paying cash the entire way. We’re also at a place where we are able to give a generous over and above our norm to those organizations and people that need our help. We are experiencing true financial freedom because our money is just that, ours.

Health

We’re all maintaining our fighting weights because our hobbies and pursuits are all of an active nature and is an important part of balancing our lives.

What’s Next

With two kids soon to be in college it’s time to do some serious traveling just the Mrs and I. She deserves it for sticking with me this long and we’ll celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary with a trip to the Moon.

How about You?

Where are you going to be in 10 years? There’s nothing stopping you except yourself from getting moving and working towards those goals and dreams. I love that you come by FiscalGeek and share your life but hopefully in 10 years time your finances will be nailed and it won’t be something you need to think much about. How are you working towards your ten year plan right now?

Photo Courtesy kevindooley

Dear Ninja | Punch Debt In The Face
2010/03/23 at 8:57 pm
How to Restore Old Wood Furniture : Tips & Techniques for Sanding Wood Furniture | Buy Chic Interiors Online
2010/03/24 at 10:33 am
A Letter to Myself | Future Aspirations | My Financial Objectives
2010/03/25 at 7:11 am
Green Panda Roundup Links
2010/03/26 at 4:08 am
Lean - Life - Learn « Eliminate The Muda!
2010/03/27 at 8:03 am
Rough Week, and Some Reads
2010/04/05 at 4:11 pm
Letter to Myself 10 Years Down the Road «Budgeting In the Fun Stuff
2010/06/07 at 4:01 am

JoeTaxpayer 2010/03/24 at 9:33 am

In 10 years, J2 will be going into senior year of college. Coverdell was $500/yr for many years before it went to $2000, so that is just one of a few accounts to pay for school.

The mortgage will be paid by 2017, the same year she starts college or maybe a bit sooner.

I am out of my current job, having saved enough to retire, but wanting to tutor math, specifically HS kids to prep for the SATs.
I can see moving a few years after that, we live in a house too big for just the two of us, in a town whose taxes are high in support of the school system. We will likely be able to move to an area that put us in a smaller house for half what ours is worth but not relying on that.
No flying cars. Predictions about anything, especially the future tend to be way off. Technology will progress, of course. I am actually hopefully that improvements in nanotechnology will cross the threshold needed to be useful, in a way that impacts healthcare to the good.
.-= JoeTaxpayer´s last blog ..Congratulations, You’re HIREd! =-.

paul 2010/03/24 at 11:04 am

Come on Joe no flying cars? :-). I knew you were a math guy the first time I ran into you. Thanks for sharing your 10 year plan.

Budgeting in the Fun Stuff 2010/03/24 at 10:07 am

Family
My husband and I will still be going strong. We probably won’t have kids. Our grandparents will have probably passed away since they are all in their mid-70s to mid-80s right now. My younger sister will be 7 years into her career and my youngest sister will just be getting her feet wet out of college. My parents will have probably moved to their dream retirement location (they’re planning that now). My in-laws will probably be retired as well.

Career
Based on my current plans, I will still be in the same job and running Budgeting in the Fun Stuff as well. Unless it becomes a hit like GRS…then I might run that full time…lol. My husband will be at the midway point of his career (15 years from retirement and hopefully loving it).

Mortgage
We’ll probably have a new mortgage that will have 3-5 years to go, but our current mortgage will be paid off in 2017.

Finances
We will be very close to our first $1 million in our retirement accounts. We will be renting out our current house. We will continue to live below our means…we both will probably have new-to-us cars that we paid for in cash.

Health
My husband will probably need knee surgery since all the men in his family have problems with their legs. I will be doing okay, but I will not enjoy my new aches and pains.

What’s Next
We’ll be planning 2-3 major vacations a year and I’ll get closer to my little sisters once our age gap isn’t that big of a deal (it’s hard to bond with teenagers when you are in your mid 20s). We’ll also make sure our investments are less risky since we’ll be 15 years or less from early retirement.

paul 2010/03/24 at 11:05 am

BitFS I’m curious why you would have a new mortgage? Upscaling your house? Thanks for sharing your plan with us.

Budgeting in the Fun Stuff 2010/03/24 at 5:03 pm

Exactly…my husband wants more room. I think he’s nuts since we have a 1750 sq.ft. 3 bedroom house for just 2 people, but I love him. He’s promised to drop the issue until this place is paid off plus 1-2 years (which means by 2019, I’ll have to come up with great ways to keep his mind off moving).

We also want to have a rental property, so we’ll either be buying one and staying here longer or moving “up” and renting out this one after it’s completely paid off. That way the rent can be used to maintain this house and pay off whatever mortgage we have on a new one.

Of course, I don’t think the future mortgage will be around very long (5-8 years at the most) since we have a low cost of living and would overpay even more than we do on this one (regular overpayments plus any extra rent money and raises).
.-= Budgeting in the Fun Stuff´s last blog ..Balancing Your Budget with Online Tools =-.

kt 2010/03/24 at 11:30 am

in the next 10 years, (hopefully) my business will be a force of nature and i will be very extremely wealthy. At my current age i dont think i will be married and i dont want to comment or speculate on relationships or family…. just the big money 🙂

MFO 2010/03/25 at 9:03 am

Nice letter! FiscalGeek as your primary career, I really like that idea, something I would love to achieve someday (an internet business). All in all great letter and aspirations!

paul 2010/03/25 at 9:10 am

Thanks very much, yes my hope is that Fiscal Geek is the parent organization for this site and another I hope to bring online in the coming months more tech oriented.

Ryan 2010/03/25 at 5:39 pm

Hmmm. Tough to day – 5 years ago I was in the Middle East working on airplanes and finishing my degree via correspondence. I never thought I would be where I am today, out of the military, running a business (a website no less!), married, and with a child.

I think it is hard to see that far out, but I’ll give it my best – no mortgage, one more child, steady finances, running one or more businesses, and hopefully good health. 🙂
.-= Ryan´s last blog ..Do You Need Mortgage Life Insurance? =-.

FX 2010/03/25 at 6:39 pm

In 10 years, I shall be living fully off my passive income stream while still continuing to write for various blogs and enjoying photography as a hobby.
.-= FX´s last blog ..What Is Forex Trading? =-.

The Rat 2010/03/25 at 9:37 pm

I’m hoping that I will have a nice family and all of my loved ones will be in good health. I’d also like to see my business affairs become a mean machine with lots of goals realized.
Nice post
.-= The Rat´s last blog ..Do You & Your Spouse Argue Over Finances? =-.