The Secret to Success. Hustle.

Kicking Ass

in Career,General

This is a topic I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. What makes a person or a business successful and I keep coming back to the same word: hustle. I don’t mean that you’re working some kind of racket or scam. Rather I’m talking about busting it with everything you’ve got, every time even when you don’t feel like it. Your heading in to work and maybe you don’t know everything about what you’re doing but you consistently are giving every bit of effort you’ve got to get the job done. That’s hustle. I’m talking the Rudy Ruettigers of the world who through their shear will and determination make a name for themselves and thrive. In my neck of the woods we have a tire shop chain called Les Schwab. Yeah there are tire shops everywhere but what sets them apart? When you pull into their parking lot, one of the technician’s literally runs out to meet you and find out what they can help you with. That’s hustle and that’s why it’s the only place I buy my tires. Maybe it’s why I dislike baseball so much is that when the innings change, these millionaire players can’t be bothered to hustle it in to the dugout they just mozy on in taking their sweet time.

What does Hustle Have to Do with Personal Finance?

In a word, everything. If you’re being slowly crushed by a mountain of debt, hustle is going to bring you out of it. Sell all your stuff. Take on additional work. Cut up your credit cards. Find areas to reduce in your budget. Snowflake that five dollar bill you found in the dryer on your Smells Fargo credit card. Don’t settle for a 24 month debut reduction plan when you can buckle down and do it in 12.

If you are looking to change careers try on your new career first as a side hustle. Research the industry. Talk to people in the business. Make your name known among potential employers. Let them know you’ll be seeing them soon. Build a social network to help advise you. Show them what a valuable hire you would be by your extreme efforts.

Hustlers Among Us

I’m surrounded by hustlers and it encourages me every single day. I see them at work. Pradeep I’m talking about you. I see them on the weekends: April and Peter who are working several jobs, going to school so they can meet their goals. I see them on Twitter: @deliverawaydebt. Jeff truly is an inspiration. He’s fed up with his debt so he took a job as a pizza delivery man to hustle himself out all that much quicker. Check out his tweets on Friday night while he’s out delivering pizza’s or read his blog. I see them on the Internet: Matt Jabs at Debt Free Adventure seems to be everywhere. Writing for different sites and nearly every day on his own site so that he can be working for himself by the end of the year. Baker at Man Vs. Debt has many projects rocking all while he’s traveling the world with his family, hustling it all the way. Kelly at The Centsible Life is balancing being a full time mom with writing, and all sorts of media engagements. These people are my heroes and their are millions of them out there.

Hustlers You Know

Think about the people in your life. The businesses you admire. What do they have in common? Are they filled with employees who do the bare minimum? Or do you like to go there because you know they are going to do everything in their power to make you happy? Odds are they aren’t just succeeding based on raw talent, they work at it too. I’d love to hear some stories of people you know, or maybe you personally hustling it.

Photo Courtesy Perfecto Insecto

The Secret to Success. Hustle. - Dhiren Shah’s Blog
2010/02/04 at 4:34 pm
H&R Block at Home Giveaway
2010/02/07 at 10:16 am
Carnival of Personal Finance #243: Valentine's Day Edition- Financial Eyes & Ears
2010/02/08 at 4:54 am
Carnival of Personal Finance #243: Valentine's Day Edition | Expert Reviews!
2010/02/09 at 7:45 am
Carnival of Personal Finance #243: Valentine's Day Edition
2010/02/09 at 2:22 pm
It’s Coming!! BOND WEEK! and round-up.
2010/02/11 at 11:52 pm
Roundup and Link Love: Please No More Snow Edition 2010
2010/02/12 at 9:21 am

Financial Samurai 2010/02/04 at 7:30 am

I nominate Jeff as the biggest hustler (good thing)!

If I was Adam living large just traveling the world, I’d be a big hustla as well! lol. Adam, where you been? Are you back in Amerika?
.-= Financial Samurai´s last blog ..The Most Important Tip For Job Hoppers: Join People, Not Firms =-.

paul 2010/02/04 at 8:41 am

I’ll let Adam speak but I know he’s heading back on a whirlwind tour of the U.S.

Matt Jabs 2010/02/04 at 8:35 am

Without hard work there is no reward. I know that if I want to be successful there is no shortcut… I must hustle.

The other thing worth mentioning is to always do the right thing… no matter what. It’s not always popular, but it’s always right. :-)
.-= Matt Jabs´s last blog ..Lending Club Drops Borrower Interest Rates =-.

paul 2010/02/04 at 8:42 am

Amen Matt. Your comment also made me think of the movie Spinal Tap. Viv Savage the keyboard player’s only real advice was “Have a good time. All of the time.” Not even remotely related but made myself laugh thinking of it. Yeah I’m a geek.

Money Funk 2010/02/04 at 8:41 am

Great post! And I agree, Jeff is doing a great thing hustling that debt down. I know it can’t always be easy to work, work, work. And Kelly, too! She’s been a writing Queen. I can barely handle my two kids. She must have a keen knack for time management. ;)
.-= Money Funk´s last blog ..Menu Plan Monday =-.

Craig 2010/02/04 at 8:50 am

Hustling, working hard and getting your name out there are great ways to get ahead and help your situation out. If you put the effort in and its quality, good things will happen and those bloggers are excellent examples.
.-= Craig´s last blog ..Interview about BudgetPulse with Mr. CC =-.

Jason @ MyMoneyMinute 2010/02/04 at 9:57 am

So true! I’m really working on the hustle to find multiple income streams. You guys are all inspiration!
.-= Jason @ MyMoneyMinute´s last blog ..There’s An App For That: Credit Card Interest Rates =-.

Jeff 2010/02/04 at 11:04 am

Holy cow, I’ve honored to be included with Matt, Adam, and Kelly. Thank you Paul. As much a we hustle, Paul has done a huge amount of hustling himself. I don’t know anyone else what has blasted away as much debt as he his in 11 months. That I a real example of hustle.

Hustle: To do anything and everything so that when you look back you have zero regrets as to the amount of work you’ve put forth to complete your goal.

I never want to have any “If I only” or “I should of” moments.

Thanks again Paul
.-= Jeff´s last blog ..The Millionaire’s Club =-.

Vera 2010/02/04 at 1:29 pm

Thank you for this inspirational post!
.-= Vera´s last blog .."Ciao Italia Five-Ingredient Favorites" by Mary Ann Esposito =-.

Jackie 2010/02/04 at 4:15 pm

That’s the secret to success, for sure. Hard work goes a long way.
.-= Jackie´s last blog ..Don’t Burn Out on the Road to Debt Reduction =-.

Kelly 2010/02/04 at 7:01 pm

Thank you for including me! I try, but I would have to say I think you are a true master of the hustle. Look at what you’ve accomplished in a year!

Ben 2010/02/04 at 7:51 pm

I agree, sweat equity is one of the best funding sources for entrepreneurs! If hustle is the secret to success, I think think smart hustle is the secret to bigger/faster/better success.

Like someone else mentioned, I bet Matt and Kelly are pretty efficient with their time and are also selective about the work that they do to meet their goals.

Congrats to all the hustlers!
.-= Ben´s last blog ..Turbo Tax Free Trial! =-.

Jamel Rose 2010/02/10 at 6:01 pm

Success depends on both what you do and how you do it. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams in the long run, we only hit what we aim at. =)

hermes handbags 2010/07/07 at 8:25 pm