SnapTax bringing TurboTax to your iPhone. Really.

in Taxes

So those tricky folks over at TurboTax have released SnapTax an iPhone app that lets you file your taxes without leaving the comfort of your phone. It has the capability to scan a photo of your W-2 using the iPhone’s camera and then it will allow you to answer a few questions and your ready to e-file your Federal and State tax returns. It’s going to show up mid-January but… will only be available for California residents who can’t detach their iPhone from their face. This is only targeted to those filing a 1040A or 1040EZ return and it will retail for $9.95.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love technology and I especially love gadgets. But I’m not seeing the market for this one. Is it because I couldn’t be bothered to walk to my computer? I’ve used TurboTax Online for the last 6 years and it’s great, I just couldn’t imagine relying on my phone to do my taxes. Furthermore you can do your taxes for free if you are only filing a 1040 EZ. I’d love to know what the readers think in our decidedly unscientific poll. You can also learn more over at the TurboTax blog.

Would you Do Your Tax Return on Your iPhone?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

TheDebtHawk.com 2010/01/08 at 8:01 am

Why would anyone want to do their taxes on the phone? I can’t imagine the headache that I would get.

paul 2010/01/08 at 8:46 am

I don’t know, but perhaps it’s Intuit viewing an iPhone app as a necessity whether someone wants it or not. Shoot, I’m thinking the same thing so maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to criticize :-).

The Casual Observer 2010/01/08 at 10:48 am

Even if I wanted to do this, I’d have to be near my paperwork (some of which is actually on PAPER), which means that I’d be in my house. At that point, why not use the largest screen available?
.-= The Casual Observer´s last blog ..The Race is On =-.

paul 2010/01/08 at 11:18 am

Exactly, or maybe “Oh I’m on the bus and I happen to have my W-2’s, my donation receipts and my interest statements, guess I’ll just do my taxes.”

PennyStocks 2010/01/11 at 5:15 am

This is silly. who will do taxes on the phone, I have enough trouble with e-mail. Sure it didn’t hurt turbo-tax to write it, was probably cheap but doubt it will generate much business for them.

Bucksome 2010/01/11 at 8:10 am

I just wrote a post about my new Droid, but wouldn’t even consider doing my taxes via a phone app. Its not practical!
.-= Bucksome´s last blog ..My Phone is Smart =-.

paul 2010/01/11 at 1:38 pm

Oooh the Droid. I did a test run on the G1, I do like the Android OS, but not as much as I like my iPhone. You might want to check out some of the Personal Finance apps I reviewed.

pfstock 2010/01/18 at 10:32 am

Their PR people sent me a press release about SnapTax. I would stop short of saying “This idea is lame,” but I am indeed skeptical. So far, the application is 1) only for Californians, 2) only for those who file a 1040A or 1040EZ, and 3) only for those who own an iPhone. That would seem limit their market quite a bit.

I won’t use the SnapTax program because I need to file a long form (full 1040), and I don’t use an iPhone.
.-= pfstock´s last blog ..IRS e-file ““ When Will I Get My Refund? =-.