Friday Roundup Olympic Edition

Post image for Friday Roundup Olympic Edition

in round up

Well it’s been one week since I declared We’re Debt Free! and yep I’m still debt free, and feeling good. Looking forward to February where we’ll be heading North to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics! I’ve always wanted to go since I was a kid and I’m finally getting to fulfill that dream. What’s even better is that we can use what would have been debt payments to splurge and buy some tickets beyond what we already have. Hoping to hit a hockey game or some other event. Fortunately we have good friends that live just outside of Vancouver and I literally booked their basement the moment it was announced that the games would be in Vancouver. I’m so terribly excited. Anyways here’s some of the carnivals I’ve been part of and then thought I would share some useful links around the Personal Finance community.

First though be sure to head over to My Next Buck where I guest posted in the Friday Financial Foul Up’s series regarding my Chevelle Restoration Project.

I was also honored to be mentioned as One of the 7 Best Blogs We Found in 2009 by Political Calculations.

Carnivals I was a Part Of

The Money Hackers Carnival
The Carnival of Personal Finance: Support Haiti Edition
The Carnival of Personal Finance: Hot Money Trends of 2010 Edition
Money Hacks Carnival: The Holiday Edition

Some Interesting and Useful Personal Finance Reading

Blueprint For How To Make Money With A Blog: Advice From Successful Bloggers Seriously if you are contemplating firing up a blog go check out this series. Pete knows his stuff.

I love this series J Money has another entry in his series: Blogger Showdown #9: Clever Dude vs. Frugal Dad

Fiscal Fizzle asks Should Kids in High School Work? Interesting question it definitely shaped my life for the better. Good comments as well.

Shopping for Self-Employed Health Insurance I hope to be in this category someday, a great post.

What are you doing with your Tax Refund? Brad asks the same question: Tax Refund: Will You Save It, Pay Off Debt, Invest It, Or Waste It?.

Simplifying Simplicity With Five Simple Questions There’s no charge for awesomeness, or attractiveness, gotta love Baker.

Frugal Dad hits home with a great post: Saving With Purpose: Short Term Goals.

How I Love Thee ING Direct, Let Me Count The Ways Some serious love for the very popular ING Direct online savings account at FFB.

Matt writing for Five Cent Nickel reminds us to Celebrate Debt Reduction Milestones

Don’t Buy a House Just for the $8000 Tax Credit! Elle implores you to think before rushing into a home purchase.

Wondering where to stash your cash? Check out Alternatives to Traditional Savings Accounts from Ron at The Wisdom Journal.

2010 Roth IRA contribution limits some pertinent planning data.

A guest post on Poorer than You provides help with 10 Places to Make Money Online

Money Market mutual funds – an explanation.

Bob at ChristianPF talks about New Law on Bank Overdraft Fees & The “Courtesy” Overdraft Protection

How I Bought an 8-Unit Apartment Building with No Money Down and Walked Away with $1000 Cash at Closing – an interesting look at the world of real estate investing by Baker.

Financial Samurai has a guest Post from Flexo, cool topic: Chaos Is an Inspiration For Change, But Don’t Wait

How To Save Money ““ The 1,001 List Of Money Saving Tips And Ideas — an ultimate list to money saving tips and ideas by Moolanomy

Len shares a funny story, as all of his are about When Pigs Fly: How I Fought My Parking Ticket and Beat City Hall

Easy Strategies To Save Money On Auto Insurance No they don’t all involve calling Geico

An Index Fund Strategy For Early Retirees As an investor probably your best choice is an Index fund or two.

Think Twice Before Doing a Roth IRA Conversion if You Are Using Account Assets to Pay the Taxes Due a lot of hype about converting your traditional IRA to a Roth, Jeremy presents some good info to consider.

Joe asks an interesting question: Is Debt Anti-God?

Investing Your Student Loans”“ What You Need To Read Good things to think about from Studenomics

Trent is going through a series on Trimming but also Trimming? What About Earning More?

How to Report Tax Fraud & Tax Cheats Your neighbor doing some shady stuff? You might want to report them, Jim tells you how.

Does Getting an Auto Insurance Quote Hurt Your Credit Score? For those who actively manage their credit scores good info.

Using the same method we employed to get out of debt Adam tells you how Even a Small Emergency Fund Can Bail You Out

Think Things Through or it Could Cost YouKyle’s hard earned lesson on investing and getting all your facts ready.

Mr Jabs shares some Tax Credits for Home Buyers and Homeowners.

Jeff shares some investing advice Dollar Cost Average Your Way to a Successful Retirement

Finally since it’s tax time be sure to check out the Mammoth 2009 Tax Credit and Deduction List at Finance for a Freelance Life.

Matt Jabs 2010/01/22 at 2:08 am

Holy round-ups Batman!

That is one cool snow sculputure.
.-= Matt Jabs´s last blog ..SEP IRA ““ Contribution Limits and Deadlines =-.

Wojciech Kulicki 2010/01/22 at 4:28 am

Wow! Big round-up (thanks for the link!).
.-= Wojciech Kulicki´s last blog ..Should Kids in High School Work? =-.

Kyle 2010/01/22 at 6:49 am

Although calling Geico is a good one! Incidentally, I’ve been told shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway get an 8% discount on Geico insurance. Don’t know if that’s true or not, but if so that would be a good reason to buy a share right there.
.-= Kyle´s last blog ..Places You Can Live Comfortably For Under $1,500 Per Month =-.

MoneyEnergy 2010/01/22 at 7:44 am

Nice long roundup. Check out my juicy article on the Olympics from two days ago, too:) I’ll be working on that “small emergency fund” next myself.
.-= MoneyEnergy´s last blog ..Seasonal Investing Rule #1: How To Use the January Effect To Your Advantage =-.

Financial Samurai 2010/01/22 at 7:52 am

Nice list! Almost made the cut, but not quite. Have a good weekend!
.-= Financial Samurai´s last blog ..Tax Refunds Are Good For Most People, Because Most People Can’t Save =-.

Peter 2010/01/22 at 7:57 am

Thanks for the linkage Paul – I appreciate your kind words as well!

I’m so jealous that you’re going to the Olympics! We were in Canada earlier this year, and the souvenirs for the games were everywhere. I’ve always wanted to go as well, although I think they’ve lost a little bit of their mystique and luster over the past when the games were the biggest thing around. I hope you have fun!
.-= Peter´s last blog ..Traditional And Roth IRA Contribution Limits And Phase Outs =-.

paul 2010/01/22 at 9:00 am

Thanks Peter. I don’t know the luster is still there for me, it’s just a shame that NBC does such a crappy job of actually covering the events. Just looking forward to be there in the Olympic Village and stuff. I’ll take lots of pictures!

MD 2010/01/22 at 8:06 am

Thanks for including me in this list.

As for the hockey game, who are you going to watch Canada beat?
.-= MD´s last blog ..The Downside Of Discount Shopping =-.

paul 2010/01/22 at 8:59 am

As if. I’m going to watch USA trounce Norway with the whole family wearing our full on Red, White and Blue official USA Olympic Gear!

Financial Samurai 2010/01/22 at 9:05 am

Hi Paul, no worries man. I know you’re a busy guy. Your GE in the Samurai Fund (you’re listed permanently in a page up top) is doing OK, but I’m going to do some shuffling around end of this month b/c there is some good demand for new entrants, and there are some really gung ho guys who are contributing. Gotta be a team effort or else we all fail.

Cheers, Sam

Len Penzo 2010/01/22 at 9:48 am

Thanks for the mention, Paul! Let me know if you ever need a lawyer. I know a wannabe who has only tried one case – but at least he won! ;-)

Best,

Len
Len Penzo dot Com
.-= Len Penzo´s last blog ..Book Review: Get Financially Naked =-.

Patrick 2010/01/22 at 5:09 pm

I hope to be self-employed in the future as well. The cool thing is that you may actually be able to save on your group health insurance rates by shopping for an individual health plan if you don’t have any preexisting conditions. It really varies by your medical history, state, available plans, etc. It’s worth at least getting a quote.
.-= Patrick´s last blog ..How to Organize Your Finances with a Financial Inventory =-.

The Casual Observer 2010/01/22 at 8:46 pm

Very cool.

Luge, man, luge.
.-= The Casual Observer´s last blog ..We Could Have You Killed =-.

Chris 2010/01/25 at 5:27 pm

I am also totally looking forward to the winter olympics! I enjoy those so much, except will be at home on my couch rather than in Vancouver. :) Enjoy vancouver! A beautiful city indeed!
.-= Chris´s last blog ..Bridgestone Motorcycle Tires =-.

Isabella@Pet Food 2011/09/06 at 5:32 pm

Winter Olympics, that is very exciting! I don’t play hockey game but I enjoy watching those who played it..It is really cool! I love it.. Anyway, that would be your nice winter moments ever..Have a great time!