Merry Christmas – My Personal Story

Post image for Merry Christmas – My Personal Story

in Christmas

First and foremost I wanted to wish all of my visitors and readers a very Merry Christmas and thank you for making this such a wonderful year. And now I wanted to share something uniquely personal to me that occurred to me 17 years ago today.

It was Christmas Eve and I had gone over to my girlfriends house to celebrate with her family and open presents from her family. They are a wonderful Christian family and had always been so welcoming of me. I needed to head back to my parents house and my girlfriend handed me a gift as I was heading out. I opened it quickly and found a leather bound Bible with my name in it. I had never actually owned a Bible before and was very thankful for the gift even though I wasn’t sure what I was going to actually do with it. I said goodnight and went back home.

When I got home my oldest brother was there and was staying with us for Christmas. He asked me what I got for Christmas and I showed him the Bible. In his classic way he said “You got her diamond earrings and all she gave you was a Bible?” To back up a bit in the story, I had purchased my girlfriend a pair of diamond earrings at a local jewelry store that were greatly discounted. At the time I believe I paid $150 for them and they had the brilliance of a piece of slate but I was proud of them and was going to give them to her on Christmas Day. Okay back to Christmas Eve. My brother’s comment made me so angry, and I don’t even know why. I had been hardened to his comments early on in life but this one hurt. So I took my Bible went into the living room by the Christmas tree and began to read. That night I read for about 2 hours and worked my way through the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Later that night I asked Jesus to come into my heart and cleanse my sins. That’s what I had been missing and what hurt so bad, a very real and personal God was waiting for me and in a very special way used my brother to help me see that.

I don’t want to highlight my brother as some big jerk, he’s a good man and loves the Lord himself it’s just funny how people in your life can you help you without them even knowing it. I had a particularly dark year before this Christmas. The previous year I started my freshman year in college at the University of Washington and for a kid who always tried to do the right thing I really “enjoyed” the college life if you know what I mean. What I couldn’t figure out was that the more I partied the bigger the hole grew inside me. Frankly I have never been lonelier in my life as I was that year at a big school trying to live the college experience. But all it took was one night sitting by the Christmas tree to change everything.

I don’t normally associate myself as a Christian Personal Finance blogger like some of my good friends Matt at Debt Free Adventure, Peter at Bible Money Matters, Bob at Christian Personal Finance, Jason at Redeeming Riches and so many others. But because it’s Christmas, and this so defines the person that I am thought I would be remiss to not share with you my story. Merry Christmas to you and I want to leave you with this passage from Luke 2:8-11 from the New International Version:

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.

{ 1 trackback }

Week in Review: Christmas Edition :Buck$ome Boomer's Journey to Retirement
2009/12/27 at 3:08 am

Forest 2009/12/24 at 10:21 am

That’s a cool story. Thanks for sharing it with us and merry Christmas to you!

paul 2009/12/24 at 10:22 am

Merry Christmas to you Forest!

Peter 2009/12/24 at 10:43 am

Great story Paul, thanks for sharing it. It really does give me chills sometimes to hear other people’s story of when they came to Christ. While I’ve been a Christian much of my life, I had a similar college experience in that I partied way too much and lost my way. In my case it was my father who stepped in and got be going down that right path again, inviting me to join a men’s bible study. It seems that God puts the right people in our life at the right time in order to touch our lives.
.-= Peter´s last blog ..What We Can Learn From Clark Griswold’s Christmas Vacation =-.

Peter T. 2009/12/24 at 11:04 am

Great story Paul, thanks for sharing. It is a great inspiration to believers and non-believers as well. Merry Christmas!

Bob Horn 2009/12/24 at 11:07 am

Merry Christmas, Paul! Thanks for sharing your story. I, too, came to know the Lord just a few days before Christmas. I so clearly remember that first Christmas knowing for the first time what it all meant. I looked up at the starry night sky and felt true peace for the first time in a long while. May God bless your Christmas and the new year ahead with promise, potential, and possibilities.
.-= Bob Horn´s last blog ..The Ride for Impact Recap =-.

Tricia Collins 2009/12/24 at 1:07 pm

Paul,

Thanks for sharing that great story. Was the girlfiend Angela?

Craig Ford 2009/12/24 at 2:58 pm

Now this is what Christmas is all about. I loved reading your story. It is both an encouragement and an inspiration.
Merry Christmas
.-= Craig Ford´s last blog ..Do Not Open Until Christmas Day =-.

Paul Williams 2009/12/25 at 4:40 am

Thanks for sharing your testimony, Paul! You received the most valuable gift ever given that night. Merry Christmas!
.-= Paul Williams´s last blog ..Merry Christmas! =-.

Matt Jabs 2009/12/25 at 9:46 am

Jesus is far beyond amazing. I praise God for removing the scales from our eyes and rejoiced with the angels in heaven after reading this your salvation testimony. You and I have talked before about both being Christians but it was awesome to read about how Christ called you to himself.

May you continually discover the spiritual gifts Christ bestowed upon you, and may you use them to continually glorify His name! I’ll be right there beside you… and if we never meet at the mouth of the Columbia… we will meet one day in heaven!

Merry Christmas to you and your family. God bless.
.-= Matt Jabs´s last blog ..Dealing with Holiday Debt and a $100 Giveaway =-.

paul 2009/12/25 at 8:12 pm

Thanks all for your kind words and Merry Christmas. No Tricia that was not Angela :-)