Save your Water Damaged Cell Phone with a Bheestie

in Frugal Fix

If you’ve been with FiscalGeek for a bit you’ve probably read my post on Saving your Cell Phone from Water Damage. One of my readers recommended the Bheestie Bagas a way to dry out your electronics other than dipping it in alcohol or putting it in a ziploc bag full of rice.

Long story short, I wrote Bheestie and they were kind enough to send one out for me to review. If you want to see our real world test give it a watch. My son Silas volunteered his cell phone (my old nokia) for the experiment.

It took a little over 48 hours to dry out his phone and lo and behold it worked again. I was very impressed and I’m happy to have the Bheestie around for any other emergencies. It’s reusable multiple times, just be sure to keep the bag zipped close otherwise it will quickly use up it’s absorbing powers. You can find the Bheestie at their website or from retailers such as REI. That might be $20 well spent if it brings your precious phone back to life.

But How Does it Work?

I won’t bore you with the technical details of the moisture removal process largely because I don’t know what they are but essentially it’s a foil pouch with a special tiny pouch of desiccant, they are hundreds of little beads about the size of bb’s.  It’s not unlike the little pouches you’ll find in your electronics equipment or other goods that come from overseas but they seem to be highly effective.  They have some blue beads in there for indication and when the blueness goes out it’s time for a new Bheestie.  Claims are that it will last a year or longer under normal use and if you keep the bag closed tight.  I cannot verify those claims as I’ve only tested over the last month.

{ 1 trackback }

How to Revive your Water Damaged Cell Phone
2009/09/23 at 9:02 am

Kyle 2009/09/23 at 1:10 pm

I hope he washed his hands :-)
.-= Kyle´s last blog ..Special Teams can Make or Break You =-.

paul 2009/09/23 at 1:37 pm

Yes he did, I bleached the heck out of the toilet ahead of time so no worries everyone, no boys were harmed in the filming of this movie. What was funny was that when I asked him to pull it out of the toilet he didn’t even hesitate. Ah the simple nature of boys, all after burner, no rudder.

MoneyEnergy 2009/09/23 at 1:46 pm

*Very* informative. Reminds me of the link going around yesterday about the peepoople bags. Hope Silas gets some royalties for his hard work here!:)
.-= MoneyEnergy´s last blog ..Tips For Getting An Early Start On Your Holiday Season Budgeting and Christmas Gift Planning =-.

Kevin@OutOfYourRut 2009/09/24 at 8:36 am

Maybe this is a bit goofy, but I have a couple of those little bags of desiccant from a pair of sneakers (OK, “tennis shoes” if you were born after 1980) I bought yesterday–is there a way I can use those to accomplish the same thing?
.-= Kevin@OutOfYourRut´s last blog ..Lending a Hand to the Economys Victims =-.

paul 2009/09/24 at 9:20 am

It’s certainly worth a shot but I’m guessing it doesn’t have the full absorption power of the Bheestie, when we put the cell phone in the bag it was seriously wet, dripping. I’ve been thinking about it for a day or so and I’m still impressed by how it pulled out the moisture. Find an airtight foil pouch and run your own experiment would love to hear about it.

Mccormick30Bridget 2010/07/24 at 11:07 am

One understands that humen’s life seems to be very expensive, but different people need cash for various stuff and not every person earns enough money. So to get fast loan or college loan should be a correct way out.